Showing posts from May, 2013

Need More Bases

I did some more work on Puppet Wars! As a matter of fact, I completed another puppet and a pile of bases! I am still impressed with myself over how the technique for these bases turned out. And it seems that other people are too, as the basing articles, here and here, are some of the most visited pages on this blog. They are just so simple and they look so good. Oh yeah...and now I have enough that I should be able to finish my entire current collection. My relationship with Puppet Wars has been quite rocky. When I saw the first pictures of models, I was immediately interested and I enjoyed the initial playtest immensely. But then the bottom kind of fell out and PWars went away with an announcement that a 2nd edition is coming. Now that the 2nd edition, now called Puppet Wars: Unstitched, is starting to arrive on shelves, the game is very different.

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about that yet. The new puppets are bigger, more cartoonish, and lack the charm of the tiny metal models…

How Long was She Under? (and) Malifaux Ranting

I mentioned early that I’ve been working with Envirotex Lite. While I certainly used it for my SDE potion counters, I really broke the stuff out for the Drowned models I am adding to my Resurrectionist crews. My first Drowned is now ready for the table.
I wanted the drowned woman to look distinctly wet and dead with a palette that leaves you unsure if she is a physical presence or just the spirit. I dirtied up her white dress to add to the heavy, wet look of the model and the starkly contrasting straight black hair added to that effect. Her eye was painted the same tone as her skin and then blended with yellow and blue washes to make it stand out as well. I liberally used purple and umber washes to deaden the highlights. By contrast to the models ghostly colors, I wanted to anchor and chain to really stand out and I am particularly happy with the combination of Charadon Granite for the base color of the anchor alongside the patches of rust. The base had to be an extension of the model…

Super Dungeon Explore Vol 3: Little Details

I have been having a tremendous amount of fun painting up the Super Dungeon Explore minis. I can’t wait to get back to a game in the next few weeks and, instead of only a single painted mini, I have nearly all of the kobolds completed. I’m not quite there yet, but work continues. On the painting table right now are the Flingers and they should be done within the next day or so, with a post to follow.
In the meantime, between painting up units of kobolds, I’ve been working on all the other extra stuff for SDE. I have not allowed myself to paint a hero yet; that will be a reward for painting all the monsters. Instead, I’ve been giving myself smaller rewards like treasure chest and these:
You can’t get very far googling anything about Super Dungeon Explore without running into these awesome potion markers. Working from this tutorial by Tyson at, I went ahead and built these up using Envirotex Lite, my latest new toy. 
These bottles ended up being something of an exper…

Super Dungeon Explore Vol. 2: Kobold Ironscales

Plenty of painting to show off today, even though I missed my goal of at least two posts a month. May should make up for it though. I painted the Super Dungeon Explore Ironscales so quickly I didn't even think to stop long enough to take pictures. That said, the steps were relatively straightforward.
I had a hard time conceptualizing how I wanted the Ironscales to look, which is why, I think, I just dove in and got them over with. The model is a bit of a challenge. Lots of hide and lots of armor and very little else. I knew I wanted them to look like they were bigger, darker and more dominant than the rest of the kobolds, but this left me with few options for their color scheme. Going with darker skintones meant I locked myself in to painting their armor in some sort of silver, as a leathery armor would be too monochromatic on such a large model.

For the flesh, I began with a basecoat of Vallejo Scorched Brown. I then highlighted with increasing amounts of Parasite Brown until th…