Posts

Showing posts from March, 2014

Super Dungeon Explore Vol. 14: Deeproot Druid and Angry Bear

Image
The SDE project continues. Here's a depressing trivia fact for you. It's been nearly 1 year since I began painting the Super Dungeon Explore minis. Granted, in this last year I have painted fewer models than in any other year of the last five or six but still, I hate how these projects just get drawn out for so long. The good news is that if I actually looked at the number of hours it's taken me to paint all the SDE models to this point, I would probably not be as hum drum about my progress. A lot happened in 2013 that took me away from the painting table.

This year, I have come out of the gate very strong and I will have the SDE project wrapped up shortly. There are so few models left to go now that I believe I have crossed over the hump...the momentum of completing the project will carry me over the finish line now.....and just in time too, as I have been increasingly eager to get back into playing Malifaux and just as hesitant as ever to play with models that aren'…

Super Dungeon Explore Vol. 13: Dragon Whelps

Image
To follow up on my last post, the Dragon Whelps are ready for the table. As the first models painted using an airbrush, I am very happy with how these little guys turned out. I will admit that I picked up the brush to add some final highlights and some shading. For the claws and nails, I went with a deep brown, highlighted with a bit of red. 
The eyes on these little guys were done very simply, highlighting from oranges up into bright yellow, with a micron pen filling in the iris. I also used a Sepia micron to add the freckles on their cheeks for a bit of added cuteness.
I am going to continue my practice on the airbrush with the rest of the dragon family, before eventually working up to Starfire herself. 






More to Come.
-Nick

Learning to Airbrush

Image
About this time last year, I was finally getting my airbrush up and running. All of the supplies had been gathered and I was beginning to experiment with using the Sotor I picked up to undercoat and varnish models. Up until now, that was the only thing I had used it for. Over the weekend, however, I decided to start learning how to paint, actually paint using the airbrush.

I've mentioned in past posts that the first models I was going to experiment with were the Super Dungeon Explore Dragon Kin. As these models are not very complex in terms of detail, I thought it would be a forgiving place to start. Specifically, I started with the Whelps. These chubby little guys are pretty straight forward, and I thought the large amounts of skin on them would respond well to even some novice airbrush blending. 
Here is my result so far. Overall, I think this is a good first attempt, though there is clearly a long way for me to go. I've only just begun to explore the extremely fine end of …