Puppet Wars - Big Updates

I am closing in on a nice goal for my Puppet Wars collection, being only a handful of models away from completing the starter box of puppets. (Wow. And it only took a year!) As it turns out, 50-60 hr work weeks combined with a 1 yr old daughter and all the 'other' stuff involved with normal life, can take quite a toll on how much a person can get painted.

 







Now, with Puppet Wars, I have something of an excuse. I will admit that the recent annoucements about P-Wars have really taken a bite out of my enthusiasm for the game. While I think the changes Wyrd is making will be good for the game in the long run, I am disheartened with all the work I've done and all the money I've spent on what are now out-of-date models. It doesn't seem to have been worth the passion I've put into painting the models and teaching new people how to play, only to have to start over again from scratch. Maybe this kind of discontent is part and parcel for the hobby, though. The 'Workshop of Games' has prepared me well for similar disappointment.

That said, the puppets have still been a joy to paint and the game is still a lot of fun. I really do like this game. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the future has in store.

 

In the meantime, when I say I have 'completed' several puppets, I finally mean that they are complete. Painted, based, varnished and ready for the board.

 

I've been experimenting with several varnishing techniques over the last year or so and still haven't found just the finish I am exactly looking for with the many sprays I have tried. In the meantime, I've resorted to hand painting varnish recently. Time consuming, yes, but a good finish and a good way to ensure I actually do varnish them and not skip the step like I've done in the past.



For the puppets, I wanted to make them look more like game pieces than their Malifaux counterparts. To that end, the bases were varnished with multiple coats of glass varnish, while the puppets themselves have 2 coats of a matte varnish.

 

Let's take a look at the rest of the pictures. What do you think?


















 



 



 




 

More to come

-Nick


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts