A Madman and His Pretty, Pretty Little Toys

Hey, that's one ominous and creepy lamppost. I wonder wha.....

Back when I was first getting started with Malifaux, I started with the Viktorias and had a difficult time getting into the game. There was something about the pair that didn't click and the more work I did painting them and trying to play with them, the less I liked them.

So when I really decided to get into Malifaux and really learn to play and start getting active in my community and get a crew painted, I decided to look into other masters and see what wa out there. I ended up settling on Seamus.

Now that I've had some time to start painting the mad man and his (insert adjective that is both sexy and zombie-esque here) ladies, I wanted to take a quick break to show off some photos of the crew so far.

As always seems to be the case with me and painting, I've trying something new starting with Seamus. When I was working on the Viks, I tried Non-metallic metals and this did not work out particularly well. I just don't think I'm ready yet for that kind of work. In fact, I think starting NMM on the Viks and my P-wars models is a big reason I am not finished with them...So that's out the door.

Instead, I decided to focus on blending techniques with Seamus, using more highlights and fewer washes and shades. The results so far are some of my best models yet and I've been very excited to get them on the table.

The other thing I've begun with Seamus is painting one part of the model, or one color, at a time. For example, I began with painting the skintones for Seamus first, from basecoat to final highlights, before moving on to another part of the model. So far, this has proven a very effective way to get models finished. I usually run into a problem with models that I will complete a basecoat and then lose interest in the model.
I don't know why I've never tried this before, but it really makes painting more enjoyable. Now, I find I am always looking forward to getting started on the next part of the model. Needless to say, this also helps save paint and space on my wet palette.

Madame Sybelle

I've painted a lot of zombies in the past. My Plague Zombie horde for Necromunda sits just shy of 100 of them, so I have some experience painting dead flesh. What I wanted to do with Seamus, and, indeed, with all of the Ressers to come, is to experiment with several different color schemes for all the undead I will be putting on the field. Sybelle represents the first technique. She started with a mix of Vallejo Heavy Fleshtone and the old GW Charadon Granite. This gives her a distinctly 'long dead' look, which I think is fitting for a unique zombie.

Rotten Belle

The first Rotten Belle was my first chance to try a different color scheme. She is a slightly fresher zombie and was basecoated with a mix of Dwarf Flesh and Heavy Violet.

They get only limited loving, but Necropunks were the first undead I picked up after Seamus' boxed set. I love how fast they are and how deadly they can be in packs. In my first two games they all died, but managed to tie up LadyJ and the Viks for at least a few turns. Not bad at all. The first of the punks was given the same flesh treatment as Sybelle.

I can't wait to get the crew on the table.

More to come.



Popular Posts