Yetischool's adventures in modeling, painting and playing a variety of Tabletop and Skirmish games.
Super Dungeon Explore Vol. 6: Kobold Gougers
The last of the rank and file Kobolds to make their way to my desk, the Kobold Gougers are now complete. Initially, I think I left these guys for last simply because the models were not that exciting and I wanted time to complete the rest of the range in order to determine how to make these guys pop.
I kept things simple and very similar to the rest of the Kobolds so far. Because these guys don't have any armor to contrast with their orange skin, I decided to go with a slightly more garish look on their scales and horns. This is a bit brighter and certainly stands out quite a bit, but is not different enough to clash with the rest of the
With the gougers, I ran into a conflict that I wanted to
highlight in the blog. The gouger models went together fairly well, with the
exception of a very large gap in their necks where the heads fitted to the
bodies. This was really the case with most of the Kobolds, but it was
particularly present on these guys. While I had initially approached this
project in the mindset of ‘just get them painted so we can play’ I undercoated
these guys and even started to get the basecoat on when the hobbyist side of me
came out and demanded a higher standard. To that end, I filled in the gaps on
the Kobold necks, modeling the greenstuff to look like they have some sort of
scaly growth that defined the back of their jaw. Yes, this did set their
progress back considerably, and it kind of derailed my momentum, but I think it
was the right thing to do in the end.
In the end, there’s nothing that really stands out about
these little guys, but they look good on the table and they fit the rest of the
models very well. In my book, that’s a success.
Back in August, I showed off some of the rock outcroppings I
had created for Malifaux terrain. As I mentioned then, those outcroppings were
a proof-of-concept for some techniques and color schemes I wanted to carry over
into larger terrain projects. After a couple months, the first set of that
terrain in complete. The last time I made any terrain like this was almost 15
years ago and, back then, there were a lot of concessions made in the name of
finishing quickly and cheaply. While those pieces are still in use back in my
home town, this new version has surpassed them in almost every way. That was,
in truth, the goal of the project. I wanted to revisit a terrain piece I had
already done, but do it without any of the concessions, sparing no expense and
making it as good as it could be.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be working on additional
pieces to add to this forest. As I go along, I will be adding some articles to
this blog that look at the techniques I used to make these pieces and…
Most games have rules of one kind or another to cover hazardous terrain, that type of terrain that impedes movement and/or causes damage. For me, this has typically been the more difficult to create, as there are only so many options out there. Pools of Lava or some other caustic substance, holes or crevices, or barbed wire fences and sharp rocks. I’ve never really like examples I’ve seen of any of these, so up until now I’ve steered away from hazardous terrain on my boards.
For the Confluence project, however, I had a chance to try something new. Cactus patches. I’ve seen these done before many ways, but I wanted to apply the same mentality to creating hazardous terrain to the way I created the rest of my terrain. For my hazardous terrain, I chose Pegasus Hobbies Cactus models. These come in 2 different sets and if you pick them both up, you will have enough for all of the patches I’ve created as well as a large surplus for other terrain pieces or bases or what have you.
One of the things that has always captured my interest in Malifaux is the way you can tell a very interesting and in depth story using only a handful of models, some tokens and enough terrain to fill a 3'x3' board. The variety of the setting, of the models and, in turn, the accessories accompanying those models is almost limitless. As someone who plays predominantly Ressurectionists, this meant corpse counters.
I've always been excited at the idea of making some very gruesome and violent corpse markers, and as I have been playing a lot more often I decided the time has come to make them happen. When I originally set out to make corpse markers, I started by making my own out of spare zombie bits. These didn't amount to much more than a bit glued onto a base and I wasn't very excited. That's when I decided to go with Secret Weapons Miniatures and their corpse field bases.
First is a picture of the bases as they come. They are very stylized and to me, they seem …