Anniversary Gaming

This week my wife Laura and I celebrated our 9th anniversary. As this came in the middle of a go live for the hospital I work at, we didn’t have much of anything planned. So last minute, I decided to bring home what ended up being a pretty good combination of delicious BBQ ribs, some champagne, flowers and, to top everything off, a game of Super Dungeon Explore.

As we had both worked the day before and had to work the following day, we decided for a simple, two tile game. Laura decided to take the role of the Consul and stacked up what is an impressive looking group of almost-entirely-painted kobolds. For the heroes, I settled on the Paladin and the Hearthsworn Fighter. This was the first time I’ve had a chance to play as heroes in this game and we had a very enjoyable game.

The game started out as they usually do, with a brisk run to the first spawn point by the heroes, who managed to take it down relatively easy by about the 3rd turn. However, I ran into an interesting problem. During the entire game, I never rolled a single potion for my heroes and only rolled 2 hearts total. In hindsight, this should have meant that I discard loot for potions, but at the time, I thought I would roll more dice and have a better chance. When you play as the Consul, it seems as the heroes are constantly getting more and more potions.

By the time I took down the first spawn point, my Paladin had already used his potion, hadn’t found a new one and at about half of his health. The Fighter took point moving into the second tile, but by then it was too late. I killed a bunch of kobolds, but I just couldn’t get any health back and the Paladin dropped. The Fighter, alone now and with no way to heal, made his best attempt at damaging the rest of the kobold pack but ended up succumbing to fire just as the Ogre approached him. Not very heroic.

As it turns out, the Fighter isn’t all that great in two hero games. As a third hero, I think he would fare much better, but I don’t think I’ll be taking him on his own again. Laura, on the Consul side, had a great time playing with the kobolds and is eager to try new monsters and bigger dungeons. I’ll have to get this painted taken care of quickly.

 

More to Come.

 

-Nick

 

Comments

Popular Posts