Real Life

The last couple of weeks have been difficult for me and my family. Let it suffice to say that, after a long two weeks, my family is once again healthy, happy and ready to get back to a normal routine.
In the midst of difficult times, it occurs to me just what place this hobby has in my life and where its value lies. I have often made the case that this hobby is something like meditation for me, a welcome stress relief and a good way to spend a quiet weekend or a relaxing evening. Over the last couple weeks, I have come to appreciate this even more.

My brother called me the other night and we talked at length about his new Tomb King's army for Fantasy. We have both always loved Tomb Kings, played them in Warmaster, and finally one of us took the dive to get an army. Our conversation was about color schemes and paint techniques and products any respectable painter should have in his tool box, but, more importantly, it was a welcome distraction.. The conversation gave us both a couple hours to think about something else and, shortly, will give us several more hours making this army a reality. We may even make a team effort out of it. Not a bad way to bond with a brother some 500 miles away.

I'm reminded of when my daughter was born, and a few tense days and nights waiting in the hospital. My daughter was born in the midst of playtesting for Puppet Wars and so, in the dead of night when we both couldn't sleep, my wife and I passed the time playing games. There is something invaluable and comforting about having such a distraction.

I am thankful to have this hobby as part of my life. Like most hobbies, it is an escape and a way to make what can sometimes be a hectic life a bit more bearable.

More to come,

-Nick

Comments

Popular Posts